Wednesday, September 2, 2009

GOT THAT RUNNING FEVER


I have always loved sports. As far back as I can remember I dreamed of being a star athlete. I would spend hours and hours watching sports (any sport), and pretending to be one of the athletes. I cant tell you how many superbowls I won, leaping over the couch cushions for the game winning score. There was only one problem with my sports ambitions; I am lets just say athletically challenged, o.k. I am a klutz. I cant even catch a cold. I tried every sport imaginable, and failed miserable at all, except two. I was able to swim and I was able to run. I was not particularly fast at either, but I could go forever.

The problem is, that it wasn't till I was much older (2 years ago actually), that I realized where my talents were. I think that my A.D.D. also hindered any hope of being a successful runner or swimmer, as my interests in anything never lasted very long. Luckily, I think I am growing out of my A.D.D.. Uh... What was I talking about again?

Anyway, 2 years ago, I finally gave up smoking (and except for the occasional relapse have stayed off it), and started running again. I trained for about 10 weeks, and successfully completed the El Paso Half Marathon, in a respectable time of 1:43 (I finished 101 out of over a thousand). After that my crazy work schedule, an office Christmas party mishap (resulting in Joey), and that pesky A.D.D., kept me from continuing my training.

But I am back!!! I have started running again, and have big plans for the future. First up, the El Paso full marathon in March. Final goal: the Boston Marathon. You have to actually qualify to run in that one, which I hope to do eventually, but for now the goal is to finish the El Paso. I have a plan and a goal, and right now that's all I need to focus on. I will blog more about my training each week, to keep you updated, and to keep me motivated and focused. What was I talking about again?

4 comments:

  1. lol... If i was goin anywhere i was ruuuniing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude . . . the line is . . . ."from that day foreward, where ever I was going, I was RRUUNNNNIINNGG!" - Love JJEENNNNYY

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol.. guess i forgot the line.. or maybe i said it wrong cuz.. Im not a smart man JJeennay

    ReplyDelete