Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Brother and Two Sisters


Adriana and I both come from families with two sisters and one brother. We have always thought that was pretty cool. So when we gave birth to Joe( well when Adriana gave birth, I had very little to do with that process), we were even more excited to have a family just like the ones we grew up in. The only difference was that Joe is the youngest, and in both of our families the boy is the green kangeroo(the middle one).

We were talking the other day about how close we thought the kids would be when they get older. We are both very fond of and keep close contact with our respective siblings, and hope the same for our kids. I have seen lots of families however, where for whatever reason the kids drift apart as they get older. It makes me wonder what the factors are that affect the closeness of siblings.

For me one of the biggest factors was that we grew up in a loving family where our parents were there for the long haul. We had our share of disfunction, but there was never any doubt that our parents loved us, loved each other, and were gonna stick too it through feast and famine. The sames goes for Adriana's family. That devotion from the parents teaches the children how important family is, and that even if we are not getting along right now, we are here to face the same problems and issues and its easier to get through it together.

As a child I was closest to my younger sister Maryellen. I think this was almost purely because of or closeness in age. Jenny, was 5 years older than me, and was almost like a second Mom. I dont say that in a bad way at all, as we got older her guidance and advice became a guding light for me. Today, I consider both to be two of my best friends.

The bond between Mare and I started early on. We were close in age(she being just a year and a half behind me), so we went through the many of the early childhood stages together. Infact, many thought we were twins or that Mare was older till about puberty. She was very funny even at a young age and i remeber us laughing for hours. Being siblings we did torment each other just a little bit. To this day I still swear that she was the forbidden love child of our neighbors, and that to hide their shame they put her out by the garbage, where my parents found her and took her in. She on the other hand, used to tell me that i was going to end up marrying the neighbors kid.. who happen to be a boy.. and that he was gonna show up up with a red rose in his mouth.

Our bond really grew during high school and through college. Anyone who knew me as an adolecent and as a young man knows that it was an awkward time for me, to say the least. I had trouble learning to socialize in appropriate ways, and thus spent alot of this time alone. It wasnt till I was in my twenties that I finally started to figure out who I was, and what my place in this world was. During my time of struggles I could always count on MaryEllen. She was my best friend and at times my only true friend, and I would have never have made it without her.

My bond to my sisters was finally realized ten years ago when we lost our Grandfather and Father in one months time. The three of us helped each other get through the pain in everyway. We spoke on the phone almost everyday, a habit that is still going on today. We learned then and know today that there is nothing that we cant get through together.

So as I look at my three beautiful kids today, I hope and pray that someday they will have the pleasure of having the same kind of bond. I love them so much and want the best for them.. and their is nothing better than the forever bond of love of a Brother and two sisters!
< I Love You Guys.. Thank You
/div>

4 comments:

  1. You have me in tears ya bastard! (Sorry for the curse word Mom)

    I feel the same way. I definitely think your kids are going to always be close.

    I love you very much you crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't comment . . . too many tears! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My master plan to make you guys cry appeared to work. : )

    Also the use of that language is strongly prohibited, and is soley the opinion of Maryellen and is in no way supported by this blog or this family as a whole.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me in tears too.(tears of joy) I am very proud of my three kids and I know your Dad is too.Your teenage years were hard on all of us ,especially you, but your dad and I never considered giving up,and either will you and Adrianna.
    mom

    ReplyDelete